Lichtenberg wood burning technique is a form of Pyrography which involves burning designs into wood surfaces using electricity.
This is dangerous too because if not done with safety in mind, you could hurt yourself.
An essential element of lichtenberg wood burning technique is the epoxy which is applied over the flat surface of wood. In this article, we will learn more about this aspect.
What is Lichtenberg wood burning?
Using high-voltage electrical current, the Lichtenberg, or “fractal,” burning process creates patterns on wood that resemble lightning flashes. The popularity of the method among woodturners has grown drastically. There are several videos on YouTube that show how to use the method, and it is simple to acquire instructions online for creating Lichtenberg burners at home on a budget.
Lichtenberg burning is a process in which electricity is transferred between two electrodes when they are in close proximity to a piece of wood at a very high voltage. To facilitate the flow of electricity between the two electrodes, an electrolyte (a liquid that conducts electricity) is frequently applied to the wood.
The wood is burned as the electricity follows the path of least resistance by producing heat along the wood’s surface and in the space between the electrodes
What is epoxy resin?
Epoxy resin is a useful product and one can find its use in numerous sectors thanks to its well-known strong adhesive properties. Anyone who needs a strong hold under pressure will find this product to be suitable because it has resistance to heat and chemical applications.
Epoxy resin is a strong product that may be utilized with a variety of substances, such as metal, wood, cloth, glass, etc. However, do remember that epoxy glue is not water resistant. Over time, repeated damp or wet environments might lead to degradation, which will have an impact on durability.
Advantages of Epoxy Adhesives
- Strength: Epoxies’ polymeric composition allows them to form a very strong bond that is both waterproof and heat-resistant.
- Compatibility: Compared to epoxy, other popular adhesives have a more constrained range of materials that they may be used to bind. For instance, epoxy resins give higher flexibility while polyvinyl acetate glues need porous surfaces.
- Speed: Epoxies take different amounts of time to cure, although certain fast-acting ones can take less than an hour to cure.
How to use Lichtenberg wood burning and epoxy together?
For millennia, wood burning, sometimes known as pyrography, has been a form of art. You can give it a fancy touch by creating fractal designs in wood using a fractal wood burning kit. These Lichtenberg figures have previously been observed, usually as electric discharges in crystal or acrylic balls accelerated by multi-megaton electron volts.
But the addition of some phosphorescent glue to cover the troughs formed by the electric discharge is the additional detail that truly heightens the wow-factor of the fractal patterns burnt into the wood. To finish, lightly sand the wood, apply linseed oil and polyurethane, and then fill the burns with glow powder mixed with epoxy glue.
The fractal character of the Lichtenberg shapes is strongly highlighted by the contrast between the undamaged and burned wood and the way the resin fills the spaces.
Things you will need
- Lichtenberg equipment
- Wooden object
- Design of your choice
- Choose the best wood to get the best outcome. In my experience Baltic Birch is the best wood for fractal burning as it burns effectively to give lichtenberg designs. Moreover, the wooden object should be 4 to 5 cm to avoid warping.
- Smooth out the wooden surface using a sand paper or sanding disc. It will increase the water permeability of the wood.
- Using a wood burning device like create the Lichtenberg design on the surface. Remove excess charcoal from within the cracks of the Lichtenberg figures using a brush.
- Pour the resin in the cracks using a plastic cup.
- Let the resin the dry and then you can smooth it out using the sander. The work surface will be smoother and your wooden object will seem more attractive with proper sanding.
- The resin epoxy may get hazy after sanding it completely. Epoxy resin may therefore be polished to get the desired shine.
You have undoubtedly seen the several styles of coffee and dining tables created using resin and the Lichtenberg wood burning method. So, with this information given above, you shall find this process simple. The more you practice, the better your work will be. Moreover, always remember to follow the safety instructions while performing the Lichtenberg wood art. Handle the wood burner device cautiously and if you are a beginner, it is advisable to do it under the supervision of an expert.
Electrode – Energy Education. (n.d.). https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Electrode
The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. (2023, August 22). Electrolyte | Definition, Examples, & Facts. Encyclopedia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/science/electrolyte
polyurethanes.org ISOPA. (2022, August 2). What is polyurethane? – Polyurethanes. Polyurethanes. https://www.polyurethanes.org/what-is-it/
Techno Glow. (n.d.). Glow in the Dark Powder – What To Buy? https://www.technoglowproducts.com/glow-powder/